The Department of Human-Centered Computing, School of Informatics and Computing, seeks an Associate Faculty to teach the INFO-H 516 Applied Cloud Computing for Data Intensive Sciences course. This graduate course is offered in the fall and spring semesters. Depending on the enrollment, we also may offer the course during summer sessions.
This course examines how computationally intensive cloud computing contribute to solutions for informatics problems in the sciences.
This course includes the following topics:
- Clouds with infrastructure, platform, and software as a service
- Virtualization technologies and tools
- MapReduce and data parallel applications using Apache Spark
- Apache Hadoop Distributed File System
- YARN cluster resource management and Mesos distributed system kernel
- Large-scale data storage: NoSQL databases (Google BigTable and Hadoop HBase) and parallel query processing
- Large-scale machine learning: Classification, regression, and clustering using MLlib
- Spark streaming
- Amazon AWS (EC2 and S3) and its applications
- Exploring large spatiotemporal datasets
- Prepare and deliver classroom lectures, assignments and projects over a 15-week semester
- Provide students with practical experience through hands-on practices
- Administer assessments of course learning outcomes, e.g., grading assignments, quizzes and projects
- Provide after-class support for students, e.g., holding office hours and responding to student inquires via voice calls or emails
- Encourage student progress and retention
- Deep commitment to student learning and success
- Master’s degree in a closely related field
- Teaching experience in higher education
- Ability to teach classes effectively, both online and face to face
- Experience and solid technical knowledge in cloud computing, including Apache Spark, MLib, and Amazon AWS
- Proficiency in Python
Please forward resumes and questions to email@example.com.
As the state’s premier urban research institution, IUPUI is committed to being a welcoming campus community that reflects and enacts the values of diversity, equity and inclusion that inform academic excellence. We seek candidates who will not only enhance our representational diversity but whose research, teaching, and community engagement efforts contribute to diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning and working environments for our students, staff, and faculty. IUPUI condemns racism in all its forms and has taken an anti-racist stance that moves beyond mere statements to interrogating its policies, procedures, and practices. We hope to identify individuals who will assist in our mission to dismantle racism so that everyone has the opportunity to succeed at IUPUI.
The School of Informatics and Computing is eager to consider applications from women and minorities. Indiana University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. IUPUI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution M/F/D/V.