HIM-M 356 Laboratory Enrichment for ICD-10-CM/PCS Coding
- Prerequisites: None
- Delivery: On-Campus, Online
- Assign diagnosis and procedure codes
- Monitor, verify and interpret the use of ICD-10-CM and ICD-9-CM diagnoses and procedure codes in the organization’s health information systems
- Assure that documentation in the health record supports the diagnosis and reflects the progress, clinical findings and discharge status
- Validate coding accuracy using clinical information found in the health record.
This course is a laboratory for HIM-M 355 that provides hands-on experience in assigning ICD-10-CM codes. Actual patient records are used for coding practice which focuses on correct code assignment and sequencing of codes to follow ethical coding guidelines. Students will also gain hands-on experience with electronic health records and coding software used to the HIM industry.