Data Science B.S. (online) + Applied Data Science M.S.
As more and more businesses collect and use data, the demand for data professionals is growing. Data skills enhance your value to employers. Earning an accelerated bachelor’s–master’s degree in five years expands your career options.
Knowing how to manage, analyze, and visualize data enables you to bring clarity and add value. These are skills that will impress a wide variety of prospective employers.
Learn at your convenience
Forge a smarter pathway to success as a data scientist when you earn a Bachelor of Science in Data Science through IU Online, and an M.S. in Applied Data Science from our school, located on IU’s Indianapolis campus.
You can earn both degrees in just five years. This saves time and money, enabling you to enter the market with more qualifications, more quickly. And earning your B.S. online offers you flexibility and convenience.
This 120-credit hour online degree prepares you to:
- Collect, organize, and analyze data to draw meaningful conclusions.
- Write programs to perform data analysis on large, complex datasets.
- Evaluate the social, legal, and ethical issues arising from mass data collection
With this degree you’ll learn to:
- Manage massive, high-throughput data stores and cloud computing
- Work in client–server application development
- Apply your data skills in a variety of settings, including GPU-based deep learning, and the internet of things.
Applied Data science M.S. graduates employed in their major (2019-20)
median full-time starting salary (2019-20)
Careers in data science
Combining your data science bachelor’s degree with a master’s in applied data science allows you to qualify for higher-paying positions, including:
- Advanced Analytics Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Solutions Coordinator
- Cloud Data Engineer
- Data Engineer
- Data Engineering Team Lead
- Data Scientist
- Database Administrator
- Enterprise Data Architect
- IT Enterprise Data Analyst
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Product Manager
- Research Associate
- Risk Data Analyst
- Senior Application Programmer
- Senior Data Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Systems Software Engineer–Machine Learning
Employers include Afiniti, Anthem, Citi, Cummins, Emory University, Merck, Navient, and Sony Interactive Entertainment.
How it works
You’ll apply for the accelerated program in the sixth semester of your B.S. or when you have successfully completed your first five semesters with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.25 or higher. We will waive all application fees.
Bachelor’s and master’s degrees are conferred independently.
Plan of Study
Fall Semester Senior Year (15 credits)
- INFO-H 517 Visualization Design, Analysis, and Evaluation
- PBHL-B 552 Fundamentals of Data Management
- PBHL-B 670 Introduction to Biostatistics
- General electives
Spring Semester Senior Year (13 credits)
- INFO-H 516 Applied Cloud Computing for Data Intensive Sciences
- INFO-I 491 Capstone Project Internship
- INFO-H 515 Data Analytics
- General elective(s)
Fall Semester Fifth Year (9 credits)
- INFO-I 501 Introduction to Informatics
- LIS-S 511 Database Design
- One approved MS specialization course
Spring Semester Fifth Year (6 credits)
- Two approved MS specialization courses