Mathematics B.S. + Applied Data Science M.S.
Combine the fundamental with the cutting edge when you graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and a Master of Science in Applied Data Science from IUPUI.
Mathematics fuels solutions in economics, science, engineering, physics, and business, relying on mathematical theory, computational techniques, algorithms, and the latest computer technology.
Data science and applied statistics make a mathematics degree even more marketable. Graduate with the skills to intelligently design methods of collecting and interpreting big data. Draw upon your analytical skills to become a leader in planning, strategy, or research across a breadth of industries.
In just five years, you’ll graduate with:
Do the math
Combining a master’s in Applied Data Science from Luddy Indianapolis with your bachelor’s in Mathematics just adds up:
- Data science and machine learning: Many areas require an understanding of mathematical and statistical concepts, including work involving neural networks used in deep learning.
- Professional portfolio: An accelerated 5-year degree from the Luddy Indianapolis lets you assemble an impressive body of work through projects, independent study, and extended mentorship.
More than $100,000 annually
Median salary for a data scientist, per O*NET
Graduating with math and data science skills positions you for higher-paying employment, with salaries for some positions reaching into six figures. This accelerated degree uniquely qualifies graduates for quantitative user experience research positions, at companies like Salesforce and Google.
Job titles include:
- Advanced analytics analyst
- Business intelligence solutions coordinator
- Cloud data engineer
- Data scientist
- Enterprise data architect
- Machine learning engineer
- Systems software engineer–machine learning
Our graduates work for employers such as Cummins, Emory University, GlobalLogic, Kaleido Biosciences, Merck, Navient, OpsVeda, Publicis Sapient, and Sony Interactive Entertainment.
Plan of Study
(This example is for a Mathematics–Applied Statistics B.S. and an Applied Data Science M.S.)
Fall Semester Senior Year (13 credits)
- STAT 51200 Applied Regression Analysis
- MATH 42100 Linear Programming and
- Secondary Area Elective
- LIS-S 511 Database Design
- General Elective
Spring Semester Senior Year (12 credits)
- STAT 51400 Design of Experiments
- Secondary Area Elective
- Life & Physical Sciences
- INFO-I 501 Introduction to Informatics
Summer Session (3 credits)
- Approved elective
Fall Semester Fifth Year (9 credits)
- INFO-H 515 Data Analytics (Statistical Learning)
- INFO-H 516 Applied Cloud Computing for Data Intensive Sciences
- Approved Elective
Spring Semester Fifth Year (9 credits)
- INFO-H 517 Visualization Design
- INFO-H 518 Deep Learning Neural Networks
or Approved Elective
- NEWM-N 510 Web Database Development