NEWM-N 456 Digital Cinema
- Prerequisite(s): NEWM-N 353, NEWM-N 354, and NEWM-N 356
- Delivery: On-Campus
- Semesters offered: Fall (Check the schedule to confirm.)
Students work with the latest digital cinema technologies and workflows to create short narrative films. Students develop, script, and storyboard films and then plan and execute shoots. During post-production students employ the latest professional practices to edit, color grade, mix, finish, and author their films for final presentation.
- How to write a short narrative film.
- How to coherently represent cinematic space.
- How to plan and coordinate for a successful narrative film shoot.
- How to use an advanced 2.5K Ultra High-Definition digital cinema camera with a RAW workflow.
- How to light on location for dramatic content.
- How to record production audio.
- How to work with tapeless image acquisition.
- How to edit narrative material employing industry standard processes and digital tools.
- How to operate and manage a RAW post-production workflow.
- Create a narrative film employing digital cinema technology and techniques.
- Develop an advanced understanding (through assessing and solving numerous pertinent issues) of the preproduction, production and post-production requirements for a 10+ minute narrative film.
- Develop an advanced skill set with the tools of digital cinema production: digital cinema cameras, film lights, grip equipment, microphones, etc.
- Develop a comprehensive and advanced understanding of techniques involved in the successful depiction of cinematic space.
- Develop an advanced understanding of the UHD video signal, including a fluency in the terminology associated with UHD video technology, production and post-production.
- Explore the creative possibilities of the digital tools of post-production and produced advanced and sophisticated content.
- Develop an advanced understanding of the tools involved in post- production: Editing techniques with Avid Media Composer and color grading with DaVinci Resolve, including the use of picture profiles and LUTs.
- BlackMagic 6K Pocket Camera
- DaVinci Resolve
Policies and Procedures
Please be aware of the following linked policies and procedures. Note that in individual courses instructors will have stipulations specific to their course.