This plan of study applies only to students enrolled in the 100% fully online HCI MS program.
Semester offering may vary – check the campus registrar for most updated schedule of courses.
Online courses are typically offered in 100% asynchronous mode (noted as WWW on the Registration page), with weekly paced activities, but no synchronous online meetings. At times, online courses may be scheduled in “Hybrid-Distance” mode, which means fully online but with required weekly online meetings at a schedule time. Check mode details when registering for courses.
Recommended course load for online students: If you are a full-time graduate student, we recommend you to take no more than three graduate courses per semester. If you’re already working full-time, we recommend you to take one or two courses per semester. On average, a graduate course of 3 credits requires approximately 9-12 hours of workload per week, including class attendance.
General Core (15 credits)
- INFO-H 541 Interaction Design Practice
- INFO-H 543 Interaction Design Methods
- INFO-H 561 Meaning and Form in HCI
- INFO-H 563 Psychology of HCI
- INFO-H 564 Prototyping for Interactive Systems
Specialized Selectives (15-21 credits)
- INFO-I 501 Introduction to Informatics
- NEWM-N 510 Web Database Concepts
- INFO-H 517 Visualization Design and Analysis
- INFO-H 565 Collaborative and Social Computing
- INFO-H 566 Experience Design for Ubiquitous Computing
- INFO-H 570 Tangible and Embodied Interaction
- INFO-I 575 Informatics Research Design
- INFO-H 581 Experience Design and Evaluation of Access Technologies
- INFO-H 582 UX Design Ethics
- INFO-H 583 Conversational User Interfaces
- INFO-I 590 Programming for Interaction Designers
- INFO-I 595 Professional Internship
Additional selectives may become available.
Open Electives (0-6 credits)
Any relevant online course (500 or higher).
- HERR Visual Design for User Interfaces
- INFO-B 505 Informatics Project Management
- INFO-H 554 Independent Study in HCI
Additional electives may become available.