Health Information Management B.S. + Health Informatics M.S.
Use Big Data to solve big problems in health care
You can bring order out of chaos to improve the patient experience.
Become an agent for positive change, developing the skills to analyze and protect vital medical information. Help to make the delivery of health care more efficient when you complete your Bachelor of Science degree in Health Information Management (HIM) and master’s degree in Health Informatics through our school.
“Informatics students don’t just manage the data. They look at the process.”
Jayanth Kumar Medam, Health Informatics graduate student
How it works
You’ll apply for the accelerated program in the sixth semester of your B.S. or when you have successfully completed your first five semesters—75 credit hours—with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.25 or higher. We will waive all application fees.
Bachelor and master degrees are conferred independently.
Plan of Study
The plan of study follows the Health Information Management plan of study for years 1-3. Students begin taking graduate level courses during year 4 as follows:
Fall Semester Senior Year
- HIM-M 425 Quantitative Analysis of Health Information
- HIM-M 443 Professional Practicum in Health Information Management I
- HIM-M 462 Healthcare Quality Improvement
- INFO-B 581 Health Informatics Standards and Terminology
- INFO-B 530 Foundations of Health Informatics
Spring Semester Senior Year
- HIM-M 444 Professional Practicum in Health Information Management II
- HIM-M 490 RHIA Exam Preparation
- INFO-B 505 Informatics Project Management
- INFO-B 535 Clinical Information Systems
- Undergraduate elective (if needed)
Summer before Fifth Year
- Graduate Elective
Fall Semester Fifth Year
- INFO-B 518 Applied Statistical Methods for Biomedical Informatics
- INFO-I 501 Introduction to Informatics
- INFO-B 626 Human Factors Engineering for Health Informatics (Project track) or INFO-B 585 Biomedical Analytics (Thesis track)
Spring Semester Fifth Year
- INFO-B 642 Clinical Decision Support Systems
- INFO-B 583 Security and Privacy Policies and Regulations for Health Care (Project track) or INFO-I 575 Informatics Research Design (Thesis track)
- Graduate Elective
Summer Fifth Year
- INFO-B 691 Thesis or Project in Health Informatics
For the project track, you may substitute INFO-B 584 Practicum in Health Information Technology.
Potential Graduate Electives
- INFO-B 512 Scientific and Clinical Data Management
- INFO-B 513 The Design, Implementation, and Evaluation of Electronic Health Record Systems
- INFO-B 573 Programming for Science Informatics
- INFO-B 582 Health Information Exchange
- INFO-B 584 Practicum in Health Information Technology
- INFO-B 605 Social Foundations of Informatics
- INFO-B 641 Business of Health Informatics
- INFO-B 643 Natural Language Processing for Biomedical Records and Reports
- Other courses with permission