Same school, new name. The School of Informatics and Computing is changing its name effective January 11, 2023. Learn more about the name change

Regular Hourly and Student Hourly Employment

The following information is for students who will begin hourly employment with Luddy Indianapolis.

Step 1

If you don’t have a 10-digit IU ID number, please complete the Personal Profile Form (ED). If you already have a 10-digit IU ID number, we don’t need the PPF ED form.

Scan the completed document and contact Jeff Hostetler at to arrange for a secure upload link. Do not send this form or any other personal information via email.

Step 2

We will need to perform a background check unless you meet one of the following criteria:

  1. You are currently employed by Indiana University or left employment with Indiana University but had a background check by IU within the past year.
  2. You are an international student who has been in the United States for less than 12 months (the background check which was performed before you entered the United States will suffice).
  3. If you don’t meet the above criteria for an exception to the background check policy, please contact the administrator assisting with your hire.

Step 3

Completing the I-9 form is the next step. Once we have completed Steps 1 and 2 (if needed), you will receive an email from HireRight asking you to provide personal data for the federal employment eligibility verification process (Dept of Homeland Security, USCIS Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification). This is required of each and every person who is employed in the U.S. Please follow the instructions in the email to access the HireRight secure website and provide the requested personal data.

Tips for international students in completing the I-9:

  • When asked for a social security number, if you do not have a SSN, check the box for “The Social Security Administration has not yet issued me a Social Security Number.”
  • Most international students fall in the category “Alien authorized to work.”
  • The question “when are you authorized to work until?” refers to the expiration (end of your program of study) date of your I-20 or DS-2019.

Step 4

Set up an appointment to meet with Jeff Hostetler at as soon as possible to present your documentation and complete section 2 of your I-9. Information on your faculty assignment will come from your department. If you are not currently in the United States, make an appointment after you arrive here.

Bring to your appointment your original identification documents for verification of your employment eligibility.

Do NOT try to submit these documents via email. By federal regulation, this part of the hiring process must be performed in person.


If you do not have a time sheet in the system (Kuali TIME), you are not authorized to work. You should not perform any work or attend any lab meetings as part of your employment, until you have a time sheet in TIME. No exceptions.