HCI Graduate Certificate Admissions
- A bachelor’s degree
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
Successful applicants for the HCI Graduate Certificate will have knowledge and skills (from either past education or work experience) in one or more of the following proficiency areas:
Proficiency in programming/scripting, including:
- A basic understanding of programming methodologies, such as system design and architectures or problem and algorithm analysis
- Other computing knowledge, such as artificial intelligence and database administration
Proficiency with the principles and processes of visual communication, industrial design, digital media, or other disciplines using design theory and practice, including:
- Knowledge and application of 3D animation and/or modeling tools
- Design methodologies for 2D and 3D product development
- Conceptual modeling, prototyping, and product delivery
- Fundamental concepts of visual communication (e.g., page design/layout)
- Design principles, typography and color theory
- Knowledge and application of a range of digital (vector and raster) authoring tools for Web or interface design
- Coursework in one or more of the following areas:
- Psychology (general, cognitive, and behavioral)
- Sociology and anthropology (ethnography)
- Cross-cultural psychology and communication, information management, and/or information and library science
Fall Admission: May 1
Spring Admission: November 1
How to Apply
Complete your application through the Indiana University Graduate CAS Application. Once you log on to the application, select the Add Program tab on the top menu, and search Human Computer Interaction. Select the Human Computer Interaction Graduate Certificate or Human Computer Interaction Graduate Certificate online program from the IUPUI heading. We offer both on-campus and 100% online options.
The Graduate Admissions Committee will not review applications until the application fee and all required materials are completed and received by the deadline indicated. No hard copies are required for application review.
Resume and Portfolio
Submit a resume or curriculum vitae (CV) listing your education, work experience, research, honors and awards, and computer programming experience.
Submit a 500-750 word personal statement in your own words indicating
- Why you’re applying to the program
- Your post-certificate career plans
(The IU Writing Center provides instructions on how to write a personal statement and avoid plagiarism.)
Upload all transcript(s) and/or academic documents for every institution of higher education you attended to the online application. If a transcript is not in English, upload an English translation certified by the college issuing the transcript. We do not require hard copies of transcripts for application review.
All transcripts and/or academic documents uploaded with the online application are considered unofficial. Your unofficial transcript will be used for application review and admission. If you are admitted, you must submit your official hard copy transcripts. If you are currently finishing your bachelor’s degree, you must submit a document that certifies the awarding of the degree.
We accept electronic transcripts submitted directly from the awarding institution. Those transcripts can be submitted to our admissions team at LuddyGRD@iu.edu.
We do not require transcripts from Indiana University campuses.
TOEFL or IELTS
Submit proof of English proficiency if your native language is not English. Minimum score required for the on-campus certificate is 79 TOEFL or 6.5 IELTS. Minimum score for the online certificate is 100 TOEFL or 7.5 IELTS.
This requirement may be waived if you are a citizen of the United States or a country where English is the official language for higher education, or you are completing your bachelor’s or master’s degree in the United States or a country that is predominately English speaking.
Upload a copy of your test score results in the Documents Section (under Test Score Report upload option) on the online application. Test results may also be sent through ETS to IUPUI school code 1325.
There is no application fee for this online application.