Archives Management Certificate
Our 100% online certificate in archives management provides an exciting educational opportunity for prospective students throughout the United States. This includes working professionals who would like to refresh archives knowledge and earn an additional credential; professionals changing careers within the LIS field; and students from related fields (e.g., history and museum studies).
You complete this certificate entirely online.
In our program students develop core knowledge and skills required to work as a professional archivist. Curriculum will enable students to address the Society of American Archivists (SAA) core values for archivists by:
- Identifying and preserving essential parts of society’s cultural heritage.
- Organizing and maintaining the documentary record of institutions, groups, and individuals.
- Assisting in the process of remembering the past through authentic and reliable primary sources.
- Serving a broad range of people, who seek to locate and use valuable evidence and information.
For more information or questions, please contact Lydia Spotts, email@example.com.
The certificate requires a total of 18 credit hours.
Core course requirement (12 credit hours)
- LIS-S 581 Archives and Records Management
- LIS-S 582 Digital Preservation
- LIS-S 584 Archival Arrangement and Description
- LIS-S 585 Archival Appraisal and Management
Electives (6 credit hours)
Two electives from the suggested list.
- LIS-S 583 Data Curation and Management
- LIS-S 586 Archival Intelligence
- LIS-S 591 Grant Writing
- LIS-S 605 Internship in Library and Information Science
- LIS-S 623 Genealogy and Local History
- LIS-S 685 Electronic Records Management
- LIS-S 686 Web Archiving and Preservation
Non-LIS graduate students (those without a MLS or MLIS) are required to take LIS-S 500 Methods and Tools for the Information Profession. The LIS-S 507 foundations course, frequently listed as a pre-requisite, is not required.
Students may transfer up to 6 credit hours of archives coursework from an ALA accredited program.