Kyle M. L. Jones, Ph.D.
- Associate Professor, Library and Information Science, Data Science
kmljiupui [dot] edu
- Ph.D., School of Library and Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison (2015)
- MLIS, Graduate School of Library and Information Studies, Dominican University, River Forest, Illinois (2009)
- B.A. English Literature and Composition, Secondary Education, Elmhurst College, Illinois (2007)
Jones’s research focuses on information ethics and policy issues associated with educational data mining and analytic practices, such as learning analytics, within American higher education institutions. His published research is accessible in top journals, like the Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology; Learning, Media and Technology; Communications of the ACM; the Journal of Documentation; College & Research Libraries; and other journals. Since 2018, he has earned $1.1 million in funding for projects. His research has been featured in national and international news outlets, such as the Washington Post and NPR.
For his teaching, his online-only courses focus on sociotechnical concerns related to database design, information architecture, and information policy. He is a Quality Matters certified peer reviewer. In 2019, he was awarded the school’s Teaching Award. In 2021, he was awarded the campus’s Trustees Teaching Award.
He is an active member of the Association of Library and Information Science Education (ALISE), where he has lead the Information Ethics special interest group, and the Association for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T), where he was an officer of the Information and Learning Sciences special interest group.
- Information policy issues related to data practices and technologies
- Student privacy issues
- Emerging educational technologies
Active Research Grants
- Getting to know their data doubles: An inquiry into student perceptions of privacy issues associated with academic library participation in learning analytics
- Prioritizing Privacy: Training to Improve Practice in Library Analytics Projects
- Student Privacy in the Datafied Classroom
LIS S511 Database Design
LIS S541 Information Policy
- December 13, 2022
Student data privacy starts with a cooperative spirit, says SoIC professor
- August 26, 2019
Privacy expert Kyle Jones says student data collection can lead to ethics concerns
- May 1, 2018
LIS professor receives IMLS grant to research learning analytics and privacy
- January 27, 2017
School welcomes 12 new faculty members