INFO-I 220 The Social Impact of Bots and Automation
- Prerequisite(s): None
- Delivery: On-Campus, Online
This course examines the disruptive effects of process automation on social, economic, and global environments and how organizations adopt artificial intelligence and other technologies to process unstructured and uncurated data. The course also introduces applications of cognitive automation with bots in various industries and their implications.
- Appraise research on achieving goals by designing cognitive virtual agents (bots) that process unstructured data with machine learning and natural language processing.
- Evaluate and report on the applications of AI and RPA to business, organization, and technology and their implications using current events.
- Evaluate how process automation and artificial intelligence (AI) are performing repetitive and administrative tasks with more speed, reliability, and compliance than human workers.
- Experiment with how bots can be goal oriented and reactive to the environment by accomplishing different types of tasks or managing projects in different environments.
- Examine the need for an organization to have a digital transformation plan that considers their knowledge base and organizational structures before investing in automation.
- Examine how to apply bots in planning, reporting, risk management, work scheduling, employee's selection, evaluating legal documents, finance, and accounting.
- Identify the pros and cons of using bots, including whether their adoption is freeing employees to address higher-level tasks or eliminating their jobs.
- Make use of a real-world deployment of bots in the Internet-of-things and evaluate how it is disrupting one of the following: field service automation (FSA), maintenance, repair, and operations (MRO), industrial automation, call centers, or enterprise asset management (EAM) markets.
- Adapt selected approaches to better understand implications and perspectives on the deployment of AI and RPA and the adoption of cognitive automation with bots.
Policies and Procedures
Please be aware of the following linked policies and procedures. Note that in individual courses instructors will have stipulations specific to their course.