Prerequisites (6 cr.)
The following 4 courses are approved for the Life and Physical Sciences component of the general education core.
- BIOL N207 Physiology for Healthcare Management (3 cr.) or BIOL N217 Human Physiology (5 cr.)
- BIOL N211 Anatomy for Healthcare Management (3 cr.) or BIOL N261 Human Anatomy (5 cr.)
Core (18 cr.)
- HIM M108 Introduction to Health Information Management (3 cr.)
- HIM M325 Healthcare Information Requirements and Standards I (3 cr.)
- HIM M330 Medical Terminology (3 cr.)
- HIM M350 Pathophysiology and Pharmacology for HIM I (3 cr.)
- HIM M351 Pathophysiology and Pharmacology for HIM II (3 cr.)
- HIM M425 Quantitative Analysis of Health Information (3 cr.)
For Informatics majors in the specialization, 300 level or higher HIM classes satisfy the Core B requirement.
This specialization does not prepare students to sit for the RHIT Exam or RHIA Exam.
The Media Arts and Science specialization requires 15 credit hours. You must receive a grade of C or better in each course. Please choose from one of the areas below:
Develop your writing, illustration, and narrative skills with courses on design, scriptwriting, storyboarding, and animation.
Note: NEWM-N 102 Digital Media Imagery is a prerequisite for NEWM-N 261 and NEWM-N 238.
A specialization in pre-med, allowing you to sit for the MCAT, and the option to obtain a master’s degree in bioinformatics or health informatics prior to continuing on with a degree in medicine.
You will need to work closely with the Informatics academic advisor in order to fit these 52 credit hours into the Informatics plan of study and stay on track for a four-year graduation. Please contact your advisor during your freshman year or prior to beginning courses at IUPUI if you are interested in this specialization.
- BIOL K101 Concepts of Biology I (5 cr.)
- BIOL K103 Concepts of Biology II (5 cr.)
- CHEM-C 384 / BIOL-K 384 (3 cr.)
- CHEM C105 / CHEM C125 Principles of Chemistry I/Lab (3 cr./2cr.)
- CHEM C106 / CHEM C126 Principles of Chemistry II/Lab (3 cr./2cr.)
- CHEM C341 / CHEM C343 Organic Chemistry I/Lab (3 cr./2 cr.)
- CHEM C342 Organic Chemistry II (3 cr.)
- MATH 15900 (5 cr., or MATH 15300 and 15400)
- MATH 165 Analytical Geometry and Calculus I (4 cr., optional but recommended for certain programs)
- PHYS P201 General Physics I (5 cr.)
- PHYS P202 General Physics II (5 cr.)
- PSY B110 Introduction to Psychology (3 cr.)
- SOC R100 Introduction to Sociology or ANTH A104 Cultural Anthropology (3 cr.)