The post-COVID workplace will never be the same. Understanding how to navigate an increasingly virtual employment landscape will be crucial as graduates from the IU School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI seek jobs.
SoIC students can get practical insight through “The New Work Environment: How to Prepare for Remote Employment,” a free Zoom panel discussion from noon to 1 p.m., April 23, sponsored by the school’s BioHealth Informatics Research Center.
“Employers tell us they are seeking qualified students with the ‘soft skills’ needed to work in the business environment. This panel discussion is one of many programs the BioHealth Informatics Research Center is conducting to provide students with those skills,” says Gary Schwebach, professor of practice and BHIRC co-director.
Learning from industry leaders
The Zoom panel discussion will examine how students can prepare to excel in the new virtual workplace, as corporations shift increasingly to full-time remote employment enabled by information technology. This shift demands new skills, as we learn to work effectively with colleagues we may never meet face-to-face.
- Learn what management consulting company McKinsey & Company predicts will happen to the workplace following the pandemic.
- Hear three industry leaders talk about their experience with remote employees and explain how to prepare to be successful under these working conditions.
Speakers for this BHIRC virtual panel will include:
- Ron Double, Chief Information Officer, Parkview Health in Fort Wayne
- Dr. Saravanan Kanakasabai, Director Clinical Research Systems, IU Health in Indianapolis
- Morgan Miller, Senior Lead – HR Business Partner, Infosys, a global consulting company in information technology.
“Our students are used to working in person, but that has changed because of COVID-19,” Schwebach says. “We want to prepare our graduates to join the workforce with the skills they need for success in this new virtual world, both for their employers’ and their own sakes.”
This free presentation is open to all students at SoIC.
Learn how to attend